The University of Maryland Office of Emergency Management works in close partnership with the University of Maryland Police Department. Our team meets weekly to discuss, evaluate, and plan actions to address emergency management issues impacting UMD.
Who We Are Get Prepared Have a Plan Take Action In the Community Visitors
The University of Maryland Office of Emergency Management's (OEM) mission is to prepare the UMD community in the event of an emergency or incident, mitigate measures to reduce loss of life and property, and respond to and recover from emergencies or incidents. OEM supports the university in developing emergency and continuity plans; coordinating and providing training; developing, implementing and evaluating exercises; and conducting community outreach.
Emergency management at the University of Maryland is a broad program that involves the entire campus community, as well as external agencies and organizations. OEM works closely in partnership with the University of Maryland Police Department (UMPD). The Emergency Management Council (EMC), led and coordinated by OEM, is an important component of the program. The EMC is comprised of leaders from across university divisions that represent mission critical functions. The EMC meets regularly to engage in emergency planning and information sharing.
- Maintain university essential functions during or after an emergency or incident and support the Incident Response Team (IRT)
- Equip the UMD community with the skills and resources needed to effectively respond and make critical decisions in an emergency or incident
- Promote a culture of resiliency through emergency preparedness, self-sufficiency, shared responsibility and development of strong structure across divisions.
Emergency Management Council
The Emergency Management Council (EMC) is a group of cross-divisional representatives from various critical functions that are needed to support the university’s emergency management objectives and goals. The EMC meets twice a semester and once during the summer to discuss emergency and continuity planning, coordinate necessary tasks, and to provide strategy recommendations for the overall campus emergency management program.
EMC responsibilities include the following:
- provide input on university-wide emergency management plans and policies
- promote cross-departmental and divisional collaborations
- ensure that various divisions, departments, and offices across campus have critical information regarding emergency preparedness and management
- serve as a point of contact for their functional areas